CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 31, 2009

My favorite moment in Thailand yet.....













The last few days have been full of exciting times...everything from riding and feeding elephants, going to a fabulous dinner at the cultural center where we experienced great food and entertainment, to trying to solve a massive lice outbreak crisis at the homes. :)

However, Sunday is the day that has made the most impact on me, by far. As a child, I grew up going to a small church in Bremerton, Washington. There were probably about 30 of us who met in this small, old room. Each week we would sing old hymns. Sometimes we would use an overhead projector and a simple keyboard, and everybody would sing loudly even if they were entirely off-key. This last Sunday I felt like I traveled back in time when I went to church with my new Thai friends. When the music began, and the people started singing, I couldn't not hold back my tears. My tears fell quickly as I listened to the familiar tune of "How Great Thou Art" and and "Old Rugged Cross" and looked around at the beautiful children from the homes of Remember Nhu singing the same songs I did at their age. I was so impacted witnessing it...knowing what these children would have faced, had they not been rescued from being at risk of being put into the sex trade. This last Sunday I was so touch by the fact that these children are now provided with the opportunity to experience childhood a little more similar to the one I had...a childhood where I had felt love, peace, and safety. Sitting there in the service I was reminded how amazing it is that the same Spirit who has impacted my life, is the same one who has moved in these girls as well.

Among these girls were two sisters, Kia and Ea (pronouced "Gee-ah" age 10, and "Ee-ah" age 8). There are from the Hmong hilltribe of Thailand. Their father died, and so they had quit school to help their mother. When Remember Nhu offered to take in one of the nine children of their family, their mother asked them to take in the two of them. They are always together, and smile and laugh all the time. By looking at them, you would never guess they have only been in the home for two months...they are so well adjusted. These two girls are now in a place of safety. And I loved sitting with them at church.

Following the service, was hands down THE most moving experience of the trip to this point...a baptism of a Thai couple, Ton and Maam. They became Christians through their friendship with Carl and Laurie. They gave their testimonies about how they were raised in the Buddist religion, but through experiencing the love of Christ's through friendship, they now know Jesus Himself. Ton's Buddist parents were even there witnessing the entire thing! Words cannot even descibe that day and the celebration we had!

So now it is after 11:00pm...I just got home for a second attempt of killing this lice that is rampant at the homes (pray us leaders don't get it too!). THANK YOU all for praying. I definitely feel them. All my love you each of you.... :)

4 comments:

Liz said...

The girls look SO beautiful in your pictures, Julie! How sweet for you to be able to experience life with them right now...and what a beautiful picture of God's grace, salvation and redemption. Talk about living trophies of His goodness!

Love you! Can't wait to catch up when you get home,

Liz

Rebekah said...

Julie...what a delight to read what the Lord is doing in your time there. Thank you SO much for keeping us all up to date. It helps to know how to pray.
I'm overwhelmed of God's goodness when reading what He's doing there. Praise God for the baptism into His family...that's what it's all about! I am so glad you were able to experience that.

Be encouraged, you and Barbara are being SHOWERED with prayers and I am so full of joy to know they are being received and answered.

Ephesians 3:14-21 NLT: (it's long but it's my prayer for you) "When I think of you, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator, or everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with INNER strength through His spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and KEEP you STRONG. And may you have the POWER to UNDERSTAND as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high and how deep HIS love is. May you experience the LOVE of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able through his mighty power at WORK WITHIN US, to accomplish INFINITELY more than we might think or imagine. Glory to the Father!"

I know you know all this and Christ very much dwells and is at work within you...I pray you are encouraged by ALL that God is giving you.

I love you and pray for you daily. This is just the beginning...

Love, Rebekah

Amy H said...

It's so exciting to hear how you are doing. The baptism must have been so exciting! Thanks for the update!

Love and prayers,
Amy

Conrad, Michelle, Bronwen, Ava and Cate said...

This was a great post -I esp. loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing. :-)