CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 23, 2009

As We Leave......To Thailand & Cambodia

To say that the last couple of weeks have flown by is quite the understatement. I have been scrambling to get everything done...from squeezing all my clients in, to getting my vaccines, and running an innumerable amount of errands. But now, the day of departure is almost here, and I finally feel as though I am able to take a moment and consider the journey that I am going to be on in the next few weeks.

As I sit here, my mind rushes back to a conversation I had over lunch, with one of my most special friends. It is very rare in life that one finds somebody who is a true kindred spirit, who you are able to just sit and “speak each other's language”...even in the the things that are left unsaid, but are still understood. Roxy is one of these treasures in my life, a gift from God really. The amazing thing for me is that she is a kindred spirit, who happens to be twice my age. So I have been given the privilege to glean from all she has learned throughout her life. The other day, at lunch, was no exception.

We sat talking over Panera Bread, and she asked a lot of questions. As I spoke, she just listened. But finally her response was a story from her own life. And it has become an illustration that portrays what I am praying for, as my friend Barbara and I leave for Thailand and Cambodia.

Roxy's parents were 35 when they picked up and moved to be missionaries to a village in Alaska, called Chitina. This village consisted of a small group of indigenous people, who for years were terrified by what you or I would consider unreal spiritism or often think of as a made up horror story. But for these people it was very much real. The “shaman” was a bewitching, ugly figure that would come in and scare the people every night. Parents were paralyzed with fear, scrambling each night to get their children indoors. That is, until the missionaries arrived. The day that this couple, Roxy's parents, came to this village, the shaman never returned again. Before any words were even spoken by the missionaries, God's power was displayed. Christ's presence in them was power enough to disarm Satan's fear method. The shaman did not come back again to scare the village. Instead, Roxy's parents came in and spoke of the hope of Jesus. The generations that have followed, the kids and great grandkids of these village people, now speak of the way Jesus changed their lives!

After Roxy shared this story with me the other day, I have considered it a lot, and prayed it for myself and Barbara. I have been praying that we will be so full of Christ's Spirit, that those around us are touched by Him through us, and His presence in us.

However, in an email yesterday, Roxy built upon that story and added more for me to consider and pray over for our trip. She wrote: “Just walk into a room and you know God is walking in also, and the whole environment changes. Of course the battle is stronger, for the enemy will fight his way through and try to fill you with discouragement and despair and feelings of powerlessness and inadequacy. Don't heed them! They are not from your Chief! So....be aware that you are definitely in a battle! Keep your armor buckled on tightly and hold fast to the shield of trust - faith - and enjoy who you are in Christ! You are seated with Him in the Heavenlies! No one can harm you without HIS permission. And He wills that you accomplish the mission he is sending you on (it's a lifetime mission - not one of just 3 weeks!!!!!)....YOUR LIFE is the message! Let it speak loud and clear! Remember who you represent and who is IN you and empowers you...even if you "feel" powerless....don't heed the "feelings." I've been there, done that and do know where my weaknesses are and those are the first darts Satan throws at us....into our weaknesses. Ouch! ….You are going to a "hot spot" in this world...Satan's territory, and he will be mad! Stand firm...face him head on! Armor on...helmet, shield, and don't forget the shoes....of peace! the gospel of Christ who is the Savior of the world!”

What a mission to pray toward! Please join us, by praying these things for us. We so desperately need our friends, family, and loved ones to serve with us, from here, as we go there. Thank you all for your support as we take off...thank you for partnering with us by your prayers. Love you all so very much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey kiddo -

We truly are going with you as you bring God's message of love and His great offer of forgiveness to folks on the other side of the world. You are in our prayers. Keep us in you heart.

Love
Dad and Diane

Amy H said...

Julie,
I just read through your three blogs. First off, you are a wonderful writer!! Second, I did the same thing with my stuffed animals as a little girl across town from you. =) Thirdly, I love seeing your heart for Jesus and for the people around you. What a wonderful opportunity you have, both at the salon, and with your trip ahead of you. After seeing the movie "Taken", my eyes have been opened to the sex trafficking trade. It is so cool to know that you aren't feeling just 'helpless' about it - you are able to DO something about it. That is SO exciting! I am also glad you are aware of the spiritual challenges that you have before you and I will surely be lifting you up in prayer while you are away.

Lots of love,
Amy

Erica Stillar said...

Loved this! Very much encouraged me. :) Love you and praying for you!!!!