CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Remember Nhu

I have watched the documentary numerous times...sometimes three times in one day. I have observed the landscape and culture. I have listened to the voices. I have memorized the stated vision. But most importantly I have studied her eyes. They are eyes that are full of joy and victory. What is unseen, behind the chocolate color, is the story of her broken past and the terror that those same eyes must have expressed. I don't even like to think about it; I would rather pretend that nothing ever touched or harmed this beautiful young girl. But the truth is that it did, and there is no denying it. As I stare at her eyes, as I watch the video, tears fall from mine. I wonder...What expression will be on her face the first time I see her?

I cannot wait to meet Nhu, a young woman from Southeast Asia, and look into her eyes that speak of God's rescuing love and restoration. She gave her life to Jesus at a young age, was baptized, and became outspoken about her faith. However, at the age of twelve, a family member sold her virginity, partly as an act of disapproval of Nhu’s commitment to Christ. Since then, God has been active in rescuing and restoring this young woman from the devastation of the sex trade.

In many ways I do not feel like I have much to offer this lovely young woman. Sure, I have been asked to teach her all I have learned and whatever knowledge I have acquired over the years, but the reality is she has so much to teach me. It is just a privilege to play a part in making her dreams come true...dreams of building salons to keep women, like herself, from being trafficked.

At this point in my career, I go to work each day not really thinking much about the practical and technical side of my job. I can pretty much do the hairstyling in my sleep. It is the transparent conversations and the emotional discussion that I sometimes just feel so humbled and vulnerable by. At the end of the day my hope is that I not only made each client feel beautiful, but that they feel known and accepted, shown grace, told truth, and experienced Jesus' love through me. That is my measure of success.

Similarly, as I leave for Thailand and Cambodia to work with an organization called “Remember Nhu,” I have one goal. I simply want to love Nhu. If I am able to do anything else in the process, then I will be even more thankful. But the one and only measure of success in this trip is to allow Nhu to experience Jesus through me. Oh, I am so unworthy of such a task......

http://www.remembernhu.org/media/motion/videos/

0 comments: