CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 6, 2009

More Lessons, More Thoughts...












This last week is very difficult to put into words. I don't think that either Barbara or I have really been able to fully grasp, or process, what we have seen and experienced. Sure, there were definite cultural differences we had experienced in Thailand...and maybe even experienced a little culture shock there, to some degree. But what we saw there was nothing compared to the extreme poverty and oppression we have witnessed, here in Cambodia.

We are going to get on that plane, later in the week, different people from what we have seen and what we have experienced. My guess is that a lot of these things we won't even be able to process completely until we have been home for some time.

For instance, yesterday we went to visit and hand out fruit to the kids who live along the river villages. These people wash, eat, and use the same water as their restroom. They live off of about $25 a month. Barbara and I concluded that there was nothing desirable to go there, other than the call to do God's work. The smell and sight of the filth and garbage cannot be captured in a mere photo. The kids flocked around us, as we handed out oranges and apples. These precious kids have so many dangers. First, and obviously, the physical risks of sickness and disease and starvation. There are also open electric lines all over the place, that if they were to be accidently touch, they would lose fingers, or even their lives since they are fully surrounded by water. Their homes are often house boats. Secondly, there is the definite risk of being sold into the sex trade. We only saw super young kids (younger than about 8 years old) and older kids (about 15 or so) because all of the other kids had probably been sold by their families, to earn money to supply themselves the bare necessities.

When we drove back to the city, Laurie asked us what our response was. I couldn't formulate any words (just as, even now, I am struggling to describe). I simply told her that, after we gave fruit to one of the girls, she later was dancing seductively on the porch, infront of men, to the song "Bringing Sexy Back." My guess is she was about 8. We got out the pictures and showed Laurie which girl it was. Remember Nhu may be doing research to see if they can help this girl.

But the thing that has been most difficult for me to process in my mind and heart is where I fit in all of this. And, even more, how to grasp the depravity of sin and man. I have been able to go back to a hotel every night...which, to be honest, has even been a struggle for Barbara and I with the level of cleanliness from what we are used to. But these kids can never leave it. And, in fact, they don't even think about leaving because they are fully unable to grasp the concept of tomorrow, or even having a future. Their minds only process the moment and that specific day.

Barbara and I have been struck with the fact that we are now responsible with what we have seen and experienced with our own eyes.

However, there have been such beautiful moments as well. Barbara has fallen completely in love! I think, if it were even possible, she would surprise Steve at the airport with a carload of them!! I feel the exact same way. These girls are so incredibly special...They are so full of love and express it so openly. To know where these girls have come from (many come from the villages by the river) and to see how they have blossomed is simpliy amazing. The other day they broke out in a song, that they sang in English. They sang "I love you Lord, and I lift my voice, to worship You, oh my soul rejoice. Take joy my King, in what you hear. May it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear." I know it was a sweet sound in their Savior's ear, the One who has lovingly and tenderly rescued these girls and restoring their beautiful lives. It made me think of Psalm 40:1-3 Ï waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay...He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God"" God has been so good to them. And seeing this has given Barbara and I hope, in the midst of what we have seen.

Today plans have changed a little bit. I have found myself sick...please pray for me. The main concern is that my sore throat (which is pretty bad, to be honest) will go to my ears. With 25 or 30 hours of travel coming up later this week, it would not be good to get an ear infection while flying. We may try to get some perscriptions later this week...but that can be a little tricky since I am not home with my doctor and medical attention is limited here. It should be fine, but I truly appreciate prayer. Being sick this morning has given me time to stay in and read and journal. Barbara is out at the Killing Fields, where about 25 years ago, 90% of the church in Cambodia was killed...so pray for her as she is taking in more devestation.

Wow...so much more to say...but for a later time, I guess! :) Barbara and I thank you so, so much for your prayers. Please continue to pray as the trip is coming to a close here soon. God has met us here...and we are thankful. Our God is so good.

1 comments:

Amy H said...

Hi Julie,
I am enjoying reading your updates. What an incredible experience you are having. I am praying for you daily, and have been praying about your health, but now that I know you are sick, I will pray a little more specifically about that!
Love and prayers,
Amy